Monday, January 4, 2021

New Year

Apparently I missed the news this summer, about Mr. Malcolm's List. Constance Wu has joined the film as executive producer and she'll be taking over the part of Julia from Gemma Chan. I'm sorry to see Gemma go, but I suppose it could be due to schedule conflicts, since Covid delayed or cancelled a lot of projects. I'm glad to hear that the full length movie is still going forward. I do love a period film, though most of the time I prefer mysteries to romances.

Another period drama I've been watching is Cinemax's Warrior series, based on a concept from Bruce Lee. This show is set in San Francisco during the Tong Wars; the acting and historical details are great. It explores a lot of racial and political conflicts in the city's Chinatown, with some characters worried about the proposed Chinese Exclusion Act to stop immigration. One character is a white police officer from Georgia, whose family fought in the Confederacy, but he's surprisingly fair and kind to other races. Meanwhile, a lot of racist characters are Irish Americans who fought on the Union side in the Civil War, but they blame the Chinese for taking jobs from them during hard times. The series also shows a lot of complex women characters, and they aren't all in the brothel. That being said, the show contains lots of nudity, acrobatic sex, and violence. Apparently Cinemax isn't making TV shows anymore, so HBO Max is streaming the show now. Some fans are hoping that HBO Max might agree to order season 3 if the ratings are good. I'm not sure I'll finish the whole show because I have trouble telling characters apart and am not sure I can take all the gory deaths.

No comments: