Saturday, February 12, 2022

Death on the Nile

I didn't like Branagh's take on Poirot in Orient Express, so I'll not be watching the sequel. Especially after reading a review that mentions more tragic romantic backstory for the Poirot. Who the fuck watches Poirot for his backstory? If you can't do the current mystery any justice, then don't pad it out with irrelevant soap opera garbage!

Luckily, I have Peter Ustinov's Death on the Nile on DVD, and I think PBS is running David Suchet's TV version soon, so I'll be able to compare/contrast those instead. The 1978 Ustinov version also has Angela Lansbury playing the flamboyant romance novelist Salome Otterbourne, which is a hoot. Based on that Poirot film, Lansbury also got a chance to play Miss Marple in a movie before she became famous as Jessica Fletcher in Murder She Wrote.

No comments: