Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Happy Lunar New Year

Happy Year of the Tiger! It looks there's like winter storms over much of the country, and Texas is about to have another cold snap this week. Climate change extremes are really exhausting. I'm hoping there's no blackouts this time.

I've continued enjoying the new Around the World in 80 days on PBS, with its refreshed look at culture and race in Victorian times. Meanwhile, HBO has a new period show called The Gilded Age, created by Julian Fellowes. I don't usually like melodramas like Downtown Abbey, which are essentially soap operas in beautiful clothing. But I do like the setting of 1880s New York and I like the actors involved. Plus it's not a totally white cast, and watching it is like further research for my unfinished DIM novel about Sherlock Holmes. (Helen Stoner will move to New York for part of the novel, and she'll write letters to him, so I need to know about that time period and setting.) In the first 2 episodes so far, I'm seeing a lot of people making deals and trying to hide secrets. The romances bore me though.

Meanwhile, Netflix keeps begging me to subscribe again. I wasn't tempted until they announced a new show called Murderville starring Will Arnett. Now I've got to decide if I want to restart for just a month for this. Maybe I'll hold off a little longer until I know when Knives Out 2 comes out?

No comments: