Sunday, November 13, 2022

Enola Holmes 2 and RRR

So I caved and rejoined Netflix for Enola Holmes 2 and Murderville; it's only the ad tier, and I'll cancel again once I've seen Glass Onion, and maybe the Thai Cave Rescue show too.

Though they are different, Enola Holmes 2 and the Indian film RRR are similar in that they are both historical fiction. The Enola sequel features a real person Sarah Chapman who led the matchgirl factory strike in 1888, though the mystery plot and her romance are fictional. Similarly RRR features actual heroes Rama Raju and Komaram Bheem, but the plot is an epic fantasy about "what if" they met and fought injustice together? They have superhero-like powers and fight the British Raj in over the top battles featuring tigers and other animals. It is pretty entertaining, and I can see why the Indian film was a mainstream hit, but certainly I would not expect historical accuracy from it.

Back to Enola Holmes, though. I enjoyed the sequel, and they did a nice balance between Sherlock and his sister on the case. I didn't miss Mycroft at all and was glad that they finally talked about Sherlock living by himself; the absence of Watson in the first film was very, very loud and distracting to me. How on earth could everyone keep saying Sherlock "always works alone"? So finally Enola corrects that by introducing the subject of him getting a flatmate, though we only meet Watson in the end credits. The film also features a new Moriarty who toys with the Holmes siblings and is very much a spider manipulating them through her web. As to Moriarty's identity, so far she's okay and not offensive like BBC Sherlock's psychopath who destroys his own criminal network, or the horrific Adler/Moriarty amalgam in Elementary. So provisionally I will accept her and hope they don't ruin her somehow in a third movie. Oh, and I was very pleased to hear the music hall song "Where Did You Get That Hat?" because I recognize it from Without a Clue many years ago. I still don't understand why the lyrics refer to the hat as a "tile" unless it's just for the rhyme. Or maybe it's some Victorian slang I'm not familiar with.

No comments: