Sunday, January 22, 2023

Happy New Year

The Lunar New Year has started, and this year is the year of the Cat for Vietnamese people. My Dad says this is the only animal that differs from the Chinese, for whom this is the year of the Rabbit. In any case, I managed to buy a Chinese New Year barbie doll from last year, because I liked her hair style and her dress. However, when I look at the doll in the package, she has this weird dented face. It reminds me of the original 1959 Barbie doll in the bathing suit, whose eyes are so weird. Not sure I will keep it.

Meanwhile I saw the new Missing film, which is the sequel to Searching from 2018. They even reference the previous film as something that teenager June is watching on her computer. It has a different actor playing David Kim, though, framing Margot's disappearance a real life crime, and John Cho merely being the actor who played David in a ripped from the headlines film. Kind of a meta reference.

Then June watches her mother leave for a vacation with her new boyfriend Kevin Lin, who is hinting that he's going to propose. June doesn't care, and she just spends her "emergency money" on parties with her friends while her mom is gone. Only when her mom never shows up at the airport does June begin to worry and call for help from a lawyer friend and the cops. However, given that the vacation trip is in Colombia, the FBI say they don't really have jurisdiction to investigate, so June decides to hire a local man to go the hotel to get security footage from the security cameras. The investigation spirals on from there, with many twists and turns about secrets and past aliases/identities. I liked it mostly, but felt that the movie upended things too many times. It was interesting commentary on true crime obsessions, though. I prefer my murders to be fictional, not real.

No comments: