Thursday, December 3, 2020

Chang'e Doll


Netflix apparently made some toy deals for its Over the Moon movie. Mattel has both plush and fashion dolls of the moon goddess and the heroine Fei Fei. I bought the cheaper, non-singing Chang'e doll because I loved her face, and her plastic hairpiece is removable. She looks cuter than the recent Mulan dolls that Hasbro made for Disney's live-action film. I don't like Hasbro's princess dolls in general because they have freakishly small shoulders and their dresses are too tight to fit any Barbie dolls with big breasts.

Unfortunately, the Chang'e doll has periwinkle blue legs and feet. I was planning to rebody her onto either a Barbie Made-to-Move doll or a WWE Superstars doll if the skin tone matched. The WWE doll (Eva Marie) is also by Mattel, so the muscular doll body is almost the same. When I compared them, the skin tone didn't match as well as I wanted, and the feet weren't the same size. The moon goddess's feet are bigger than Barbie's curvy feet, but smaller than the WWE feet. I took off her fantasy/spacey dress and tried on a Mulan dress that I already bought.

She looks amazing in it! This Mulan dress was made for the Hasbro doll, so it never fit my articulated Mulan doll (She was from the 1990s when Mattel made Disney princesses, and they used the big Barbie breast size). I had personally altered the dress by adding an extra strip of fabric and velcro to accommodate the Mulan doll. Anyway, so I tried this altered dress on Chang'e and it fits her perfectly! It covers up her blue legs, and it's loose enough on her chest that she could have worn Mulan's dress before I made the alteration. So now I guess I won't rebody Chang'e after all since I don't have a good skin tone match yet and found an outfit that hides her blue legs. This will do for now. Besides, my Mulan doll can wear her green Ping training clothes instead so she can be ready for battle. Meanwhile, the spacey dress actually fits my Moana doll pretty good.


No comments: