Monday, November 20, 2017

Bewildered

International news outlets are reporting that there's been a military coup against Robert Mugabe, and that he is going to be impeached. I hope everything works out ok, though I'm not sure what the military will do with their power. Also, there's some kind of power struggle going on in Saudi Arabia that I don't understand. The world is becoming very perplexing these days, and it doesn't help that US media keeps ignoring global news to focus on the shitshow in America.

Anyway, now there's a Franken accuser who actually mentions physical touching. Will the stupid defensive deniers back off now about their "he didn't really touch her! It was just a joke, not harassment!" arguments? Satisfied now, or just going to attack her politics? Fuck you!

Meanwhile Jeffrey Tambor says he won't return to Transparent and made a stupid statement about the "politicized atmosphere" there. Dude, it's not politics. You're not making yourself look innocent and you're just encouraging other people to talk about a so-called witch hunt. I don't really care about Tambor's show, because I never watch things on Amazon, and I was always side-eyeing the show for casting Tambor instead of a trans actress. (I also still side-eye Arrested Development for its season 4 storyline about George turning feminine, which apparently inspired Amazon to cast Tambor as a trans woman. The George Bluth storyline is fucked-up and confused about what constitutes gender beyond a hormonal accident.)


Anyway, the allegations against Tambor are disturbing, and his response has been not great. I was waiting on Amazon and the showrunners to announce the results of their investigation and their decision about Tambor. I don't remember any of these execs publicly commenting or taking a side, so I don't see how Tambor can think that it's "politicized." I guess it's better if he just leaves the show and the rest of the trans characters can continue on, like House of Cards is getting rid of Kevin Spacey. I hope there will be more trans actors on network TV, though. Laverne Cox's character in Doubt was very interesting, when I saw the summer burn off of the show.

I don't know if Arrested Development will do anything about Tambor in season 5, though. I'd hate to think he'd done anything bad on set there. I saw an interview with Alia Shawkat saying they already finished filming season 5. I don't know if the show would try to cut his scenes through editing, especially after having promised to have more scenes with all the AD cast together. It may not be possible because of contracts anyway. We'll see what happens I guess.

No comments: