Friday, October 6, 2023

Movie Blues

Now that it's October, even more horror movies are coming, on streaming or in theaters, so it's going to be hard to see any non-horror fare. I ended up watching Barbie again just to see the new post-credits scenes. They're cute and funny, and I figure it's better than me paying $30 for a DVD or other Blu-ray disc and giving Warner Bros even more money than just another ticket.

I did see Dumb Money too, but found it meh. It was hard to sympathize with the characters when we kept seeing reddit posts and memes with offensive slurs, and people treated that like it was no big deal. I suppose it was supposed to be funny in a LOLZ "I can haz cheeseburger" way, but it wasn't as charming as cat videos. Plus they used a clip with fucking Elon Musk interviewing a guy. What the fuck do you need Elon for when you could have had more clips of Colbert and other people making jokes and trying to explain GameStop? So it was hard for me to see why so many people liked Roaring Kitty and faithfully followed him for months, instead of selling their stock for money. I came into the movie liking those people not only for GameStop, but for championing AMC movie theater stock too to keep them from going bankrupt during the pandemic. But this fucking movie did not make me interested in them at all; the populist messsage was lost in their cultish devotion to this guy. I didn't enjoy their panicky reactions to every little online problem like it was a world-ending catastrophe. I didn't like the villain hedge fund guys either, but  the righteous comeuppance against them didn't feel real since we didn't see them bankrupted onscreen. And I thought I saw an ad during the trailers for the Robinhood investment app, which is ironic as their CEOs are villains in the movie. Such a weird movie.

I actually enjoyed watching Cowboys and Aliens more on Peacock, even though the aliens were kind of horror-movie gross.

No comments: