Sunday, October 1, 2023

Victories

The WGA strike is over, pending the ratification of the new contract by membership, and it appears that late night talk shows will come back quickly. SAG-AFTRA are still on strike, but set to negotiate again. I hope they can get a deal soon, and if not, I hope the talk show writers will repeatedly jab the AMPTP until they give in.

Meanwhile, the government shutdown was averted with a 45-day deal on Saturday. We'll see how the crisis resolves when the government has to do this again and face more backlash about a shutdown during the holidays. I hope the Democrats can get more wins and neutralize the MAGA republicans.

I saw a production of Agatha Christie's The Mousetrap last night, and it was great. I'm only disappointed that they didn't use the famous final warning "you're an accomplice to murder," shown in See How They Run. Instead a more prosaic, "don't reveal the ending" was asked in the opening announcements. I guess that was the only annoyance. We got a lot of laughs out of the two flamboyant characters Christopher Wren and Mr. Paravacini who liked to play macabre jokes on other characters.

Next week I look forward to seeing a production of Clue in McKinney.

No comments: