Tuesday, October 10, 2023

She Came to Me

I found a lovely little movie starring Peter Dinklage as Stephen, an opera composer with writer's block. It's called She Came to Me, and I'm glad to see him still get to play a romantic lead. He does get into a love triangle here, but it's not depressing like how Cyrano was. It's treated as a sort of screwball comedy, and Stephen writes an opera about his affair with a tugboat captain. The quirky movie also covers his stepson's teen romance with their maid's daughter. A lot of farcical coincidences happen, and Stephen's wife also has a storyline unrelated to the love triangle; she is reconnecting with the Catholic Church and feeling drawn to leave her current job as a therapist. The characters are great, and the movie is so charming and warm. The fake operas in the movie are fabulous too.

I love little moves like this, and I'm glad I didn't miss it. The first time I tried to watch it, I had an appointment for an iPhone repair a couple of hours before it. I had researched online that it would only take half an hour, so I thought I would have plenty of time. When I got to the store, though, the tech told me the repair would take 3 hours. I was disappointed as it meant I would have to miss the movie, because the phone had my movie ticket on it. I reluctantly agreed, as the phone definitely needed the repair. So 3 hours later I come back to get the phone, and the text messages on it say it was actually repaired in half an hour like I thought. They sent me text messages to come pick up the phone, but as I didn't have the phone, I had no idea. So I missed the movie for no reason. Later I bought a ticket for another day, and I enjoyed it immensely.

No comments: