Sunday, May 27, 2018

Caution

I'm so glad that the vote in Ireland went overwhelmingly for yes. I had feared that it would be like Brexit where everybody thought they didn't have to take the vote seriously. As I understand it, this victory means that the legislature will have to vote to pass some specific law allowing for abortions. I hope they do that soon, and that abortion rights movements might get going in Northern Ireland too.

I'm not surprised by the whole Korean summit falling apart, and dumb Trump going back and forth about talks. I wish the press would stop reporting on his twitter rants and other distractions.

I hear there's some new article now casting doubts on George Takei's accuser. I want to be cautious about believing it because I don't know if it's really wise for writers to go out trying to exonerate somebody. It reads like Snow was motivated to do this due to a book he was writing at the time. I'm not sure of his objectivity, especially since he says that the internet convicted Takei really quickly. But I remember the opposite. I remember people defending him, and I don't remember Takei having immediate repercussions. I remember that ABC didn't postpone or cancel the Thanksgiving episode of Fresh Off the Boat with him. I do remember some people scolding Takei for suggesting a conspiracy against him, then everything went quiet. The world moved on to other things.

People have cast doubts on other accusers before #MeToo and continue to keep saying that women are doing it for attention or money. Is this attempted debunking a wise thing to do? I don't know, but I thought there had been other proof, like an interview on Howard Stern's show. The allegations about Takei broke my heart. I don't want to go through the roller coaster of emotions again.

No comments: