Monday, May 21, 2018

Seeking Change

Well, primary elections are tomorrow (but I already early voted), so we'll see how things turn out, and how it'll affect the November elections. Since the Santa Fe shooting, Dan Patrick has been spewing excuses to deflect away from gun control, and the Governor isn't doing any better. I'm glad that a Houston police chief and Kelly Clarkson both are showing that not all Texans are idiots when it comes to gun control. I didn't watch the Billboard Music Awards, but apparently she was not satisfied doing a moment of silence, instead speaking out about gun control.

This is why cultural moments and artists do matter politically. Janet Jackson also spoke about #MeToo when receiving her Icon award. People who say that celebrities should shut up and not use their platform on issues are misguided. Sure, we get wrong-headed opinions sometimes like Kanye West's ravings, but other celebrities give valuable statements and help keep important issues in the news, like the protests at Cannes film festival. Even the royal wedding this weekend had moments that were much deeper than simple celebrity fluff; I slept through it, but I did read that many people found it moving for its message of inclusiveness and love in a time when we have so much racism and xenophobia. I mean, if it's not your cup of tea, that's fine, but some people needed something joyful to cheer them up, and I won't begrudge them that.

Meanwhile, Brooklyn Nine-Nine had a nice wedding episode, but I was disappointed that Gina Rodriguez's part was so small, and distracted because I didn't remember the character they had show up to play the violin at the wedding. (They made such a big deal about him, I would have expected him to be more important, like the recurring Pontiac Bandit.) There was a small cliffhanger, in that we don't know whether Holt got the commissioner job, but I'm fine with not knowing until next season.

No comments: