Friday, May 4, 2018

Cinco de Cuatro

So far I've watched 14 episodes of the season 4 remix. There is some new footage (probably alternate takes and deleted scenes from when they first filmed season 4) and some new narration that tries to patch over confusing points and clarify the complicated wall plot. Some of the narration is too unwieldy though, and they don't actually fix the timeline much, still sloppily combining incidents from 2008 with incidents that have to occur in 2011 or later. I mean, they're still pretending that season 3 was the kids' senior year of high school, when it was only their junior year! Also they tried to fix the story of Barry Zuckerkorn getting arrested for lurking outside the school by making him say "I'm back" at the store when he buys the ladder, even though that scene should have taken place long before he got arrested and put on trial; why else would he be free to go to the store and buy (another) ladder? Very shoddy attempt to repair the issue. Also, I thought I caught a problem where Olive Garden is China Garden's aunt, but later the narrator says the women are sisters.

Still, there are some good points, like what looked like a new joke about Ron Howard and Marion Ross. Another one is that Rebel Alley's PSA's are called "I Mean Come on." Since season 4 took place before #MeToo, it makes all the jokes about Hollywood creeps being predators, Dr Norman drugging patients, and Herbert Love sexually harassing women somewhat eerie and uncomfortable. I still hate the awful maca storyline with George Sr. and really dread what season 5 is going to do with it. Tambor will definitely be in season 5, they announced; I wasn't expecting any different, due to all the filming being done since the same time as the allegations. Given how many damn years it took Mitch to finish the remix, I would think if he even attempted to cut Tambor out of season 5, it would take years to rewrite the plots and restructure the season, so I'd rather just take the season as is, than wait longer.

I mean, Scott Baio has been a douchebag long before Trump, yet AD included him as Bob Loblaw back in season 3, and let him come back for season 4 as well. So I've been tolerating people I don't like on the show for a while. George has always been a villainous character anyway, though at times the show tried to make him sympathetic as a patsy of spies and his wife Lucille. My attitude is that I might as well just pretend Seth Rogen's face is photoshopped onto Tambor's, so I can enjoy the rest of the cast and get resolutions to the cliffhangers. Not everyone will feel the same, but that's just me.

No comments: